Want to be the hit at your next tailgate or get together? Look no further, because I’m going to give you a crash course in how to make a Pumpkin Keg:
- Buy the biggest pumpkin you can. More weight means more room to do everything else.
- Empty out the guts and debris just like you would with any carving pumpkin.
- The important part – choose a spot at the bottom corner of the pumpkin. This is where your spout is going to go, so choose wisely.
- Using a spoon, vegetable peeler, or finely crafted pumpkin tool, thin out the pumpkin in your spot as much as possible. Once you are down to ¼ to ½ an inch, you’re good.
- Order or pick up one of these guys. This is where the beer will come out of.
- Gently cut a small hole in the thinned out portion of the pumpkin.
- Insert your beer tap softly into the hole. If you find it’s not making it through the whole wall, shave down the wall till it does.
- Buy your favorite pumpkin beers, and pour them in the top of your new keg. I’ve found that lower ABV beers taste the best.
DISCLAIMER: many pumpkins were hurt during the research of this article